Constructed in the mid-1800s, Hillel’s “Little Red Schoolhouse” is the only existing one-room schoolhouse in the area used continuously for educational purposes. Built on land donated for a public school and named after George German, for many years, it provided education for grades one through eight. After all of the school districts in Farmington were consolidated in 1944, the building was used for kindergarten classes, and eventually Hillel’s kindergarten.
Many Hillel alumni fondly remember attending kindergarten in the Little Red Schoolhouse and Hillel’s Development Office was once housed there, as well. Approximately ten years ago the building was flooded and it has been lying dormant ever since.
We are excited to share that plans are underway to renovate the Little Red Schoolhouse into a flexible, usable, multi-purpose space and that Paula and Lou Glazier, this year’s Dream Maker Award Honorees, have made the lead gift for this project. Please enjoy the renderings above that depict the renovations, plans for a concession window, handicap-accessible decks, and more. Demolition has already begun and the renovations should be completed this summer transforming the schoolhouse into a destination for students, faculty, parents, athletes, alumni, and more.